Monday 28 July 2014

2012 London Olympics. Day One


2012 London Olympics. Day One

Saturday 28th July 2012

Morning people.

I did eventually find my bed but I couldn't remember where I had put my keys... told you that memory mattress doesn't work...

As I write it is the morning of Sunday 29th. Re yesterday, I was awoken by my alarm at 05.30. Have I just had a MASSIVE 14 hours sleep since 05.00 on Wednesday? I do believe so. I felt so ill and I looked even worse. My urine was bright yellow, Van Gogh eat your heart out and I made another mental note that Katie really must die... What a F***ing rotter... (See the photo, just how ill do I look...).

 
We got the second train out of my local branch line only to find some volunteers on the platform going into London and that's how it was for the rest of the journey, lots of locals had got involved with 2012.
Jump on the tube at Tottenham Hale and into town, then the tube driver came on and said there was a shuttle bus to Lords from Kings Cross, except there wasn't. It was now starting to go wrong.


The 2012 volunteers didn't have a clue what we were looking for or how to help us either. We did speak to one guy, a Jock (a Jock in Kings Cross... whatever next...) and he really did try to help, but at least we discovered that what we were looking for did not exist. Back onto the tube and off to St John's Wood. I learnt a lesson, follow my own knowledge and ignore what I'm being told. I really do know best.
 



We arrive at Lords. Everywhere is decked out in Cadbury's purple and a very lovely lime green colour. Just huge blocks of colour. It looked so impressive. Airport style security. Simple. Easy. Efficient. No sense of humour though.  It was Anna's first time at such things and as usual she just took it her stride. I said to Anna, "Is everything in the tray? No Thermonuclear Warheads..?", the women just looked at me and said, "Your aren't supposed to joke about things like that...", I just said, "Yeah, you’re probably right...", over walked the police...

Just a thought, but, what is to stop a random archer going on a random killing spree?

2012 Volunteers, Police and The British Army, made the place feel very safe and friendly and we had a great first morning at our first Olympic sporting event. Archery, Men's Team Event.
 



GBR got done over by Ukraine (World Cup Qualifiers next month anyone?). Japan v India went to penalties and Malaysia lost to Mexico but not before their final three arrows were 10 10 10... WOW! (See photo, Malaysian Team speaking with fans and officials after hitting 10 10 10). Before, during and after the event all the archers where happily walking around the venue. No hiding away, photos, autographs, talking with anyone that approached them... I like this... To qualify what I'm writing, are these people the most famous sports people on our planet? Not in our world they aren't, but we don't live in Planet Archery, 5,000 spectators were inside that venue and 5,000 people is still 5,000 people and they made themselves very accessible. I guess this is what separates The Olympians from the overpaid inflated egos of the rest of the sporting world.
 



We did the Cricket Museum and then Anna and I had a go at Archery. Anna's first arrow was never found the second killed a worm the third hit the target while the fourth hit the statue of (WG Grace?) which sent the arrow into the overhanging tree where it hit a pigeon, two squirrels and a low flying police helicopter... OK I lied about the pigeon... As for Myself? It turns out that I'm a natural born killer. I hit three gold's and a red, I don't know what flavour red is on an Archery target, but I did a lot better than Team GBR. I made a mental note to take up Archery very quickly followed by someone who handed me some contact details... Where is the next Olympics? I asked, “Brazil”, came the answer... um... Brazil... interesting...


We decided to run all over London and use our travel passes. Did I mention that with every Olympic ticket you get a free All Zones Travelcard? We so abused it. We eventually popped down to see the end of the Cycling Road Race. We also saw the Canadian PM leaving the Beach Volleyball in shorts... just how cool is that, a PM wearing shorts and getting into the spirit of it all.


 
We left London and promptly feel asleep on the train and promptly woke up as our train left our station. I woke up, looked out of the window and thought, Why is my house getting smaller...? Oh F**K... We got off at the next station and walked home along the river.

Home. Shower. Food. I tried to catch up with this diary and find out who won the Archery Team Event. I failed at both. I did see some of the highlights from the day. What is it with those empty seats? Where did they come from? I tried so hard to get tickets. To be a part of this. I moved my home and job to be within striking distance of the Olympics. What more they want from me? I even took my laptop on the road trying to get tickets. I parked my truck outside Leicester Square one day trying to get tickets (my boss should look away now... well... earlier...). I’m really not happy about this...

I staggered off to bed close to 01.30.

Noggin xx

No comments:

Post a Comment