Wednesday 30 July 2014

2012 London Olympics. Day Three


2012 London Olympics. Day Three

Monday 30th July 2012

Evening people.

Well the whiskey and honey worked. I woke to a monster hang over and a set of lungs that were in the process of coughing up huge chunks of brown, black, very dark green, whatever it is that your lungs repel after 4 days of pain and agony...



Also, today, I became.... debt free... yes you read that correctly, DEBT FREE! The Olympics started on the 27th and I became debt free on the 28th, except the 28th fell on a Saturday so it cleared this morning. RESULT!
 



So today Anna and I went into the Olympic Park to do The Orbit. As most of you know from previous tour diaries, since 9/11 and my NYC experience I've had this insane desire to go to the top of the tallest buildings I can find and why should the Olympic Park be any different...? So as soon as I knew it was being built I made a mental note to get tickets for Anna and Myself. In the three years I've been living and working down here Anna and I have made the effort to come over to the Olympic Park and visit the "View Tube" and watch them build the Olympic Park and The Orbit.



There is no point trying to pretend. I do not like heights. I love flying but heights... NO! We get the lift to the top and I lose the plot. Anna runs right up to the edge as if it was the kitchen sink. "LOOK DAD!", she shouts... as I stare at the inside of my eyelids... and Anna hangs over the edge of The Orbit... What should be a 30 minute window for us turns into a 90 minute trip... from here to every disaster movie I've watched in my life.
 



You will be pleased to know that Anna and I walked down from the top of The Orbit on the outside spiral staircase... It took 7 minutes and 30 seconds I know that because I filmed it because I knew that no one would believe what we did.



Back tracking for a moment. When we arrived, the British Army were doing the security, DAMN RIGHT TOO! We were secured by The Para's, we should have let them do it from the start, anyway, Anna and I had a really good chat with them. Also, because I was wearing a Maiden shirt (just for a change) all the security came up and spoke to us, even "West Yorkshire Police", broke from their ranks and made a beeline for us, we had a really good chat to them too. I asked why they had to have Olympic Passes and they mentioned how stupidly tight security was. It was good to hear, that the police wear saying the security was over the top. WOW!

We went to the world’s biggest McDonalds. Over 1,000 seats. My order number was 1982... "666 The Number of The Beast" anyone...? It is simply the blag of the year and the staff were still a bunch of misery chops... what is wrong with those people... Why can't KFC sponsor the Olympics?

Anna asked if we could go to Brazil in 2016. Why, were Maiden on tour? I asked...



We bumped into Michael Johnson (100m and 200m gold flip flops) and Chris Evens (ginger DJ and all round top egg) before we went shopping in Westfield this was after we watched the Brit boys stuff up the diving... here comes our destiny, home Olympics and it will all go tits up...

Noggin xx

No comments:

Post a Comment